Wednesday, January 16, 2013

A Heavy Whole Body Agitation

Putting the Top Ten on hold so I can share about my panic and how it might just be manifesting it's ugly head right now.

After every medical situation, I seem to have a period of high anxiety/panic. After the insomnia pre-term labor thing (don't know what to call it), I had two unproductive weeks. After the Thyroid Storm, I had at least a month where panic plagued my mind to such an extreme I could not care for my kids. When I had original VP shut fitted, I struggled so much I was inflicting physical pain to myself as an escape from the mental discomfort. Then after the Spring shunt malfunction I struggled a week or two with tears and anxiety. By Spring, I used my medication like it was prescribed so my "crazy" period was shortened and a lot less severe. As a result of all this, the past 5 weeks I have been waiting for my bacterial meningitis/pulling the shunt situation to cough up the panic hangover I've experienced the past 4 times.

Last week I thought maybe I dodged the panic by using my medication correctly and beginning to write about my story, so I rejoiced. However, today I woke up with that pre-panic comatose feeling that prequels high anxiety. It is not about what my mind is thinking or worried about. It is about the heavy whole body feeling of agitation. I wake up with it, and it follows me to the shower, to my daily activities, and then to bed where it typically keeps me awake. With this agitation I stay hyper-vigilant of my emotions and obsessively try to put a reason to why I feel this way. This morning when I woke up with the heavy feeling I came up with a list of whys...
  1. I forgot a refill on my SSRI, Paxil, so I had to skip a day until I got it filled.
  2. I am in the "beautiful" time of the month so that could be messing with my nerves.
  3. I am off all the pain killers and from the past (a whole other story) I know my system unintentionally gets addicted to opium derived drugs quickly, so I may be feeling a little "withdrawal" 
  4. It is cold and no chance for sun/Vitamin D exposure.
  5. No exercise lately
  6. Crumbing eating too
So today I try to fix all that. First, I fix my diet. I have been eating Eggo's leftover pumpkin waffles on sale at Hy Vee for breakfast, they really are so tasty. But today I make a breakfast of steel cut oatmeal, blueberries and Greek yogurt. Then I fill my script and immediately take one and a Vitamin D supplement while I try to linger in the Hy Vee parking lot to get some sun on my face and forearms. When I start shivering, I decide I have had enough Vitamin D. Though I truly wanted to skip it and stay in my recliner, I make it to a Lee's Summit Momma's meeting. Isolation is horrible for panic/anxiety/depression, so I go because that is what I am suppose to do. However, after the meeting is over, I feel the heaviness get heavier. I go home and try for a walk, but it is too cold outside. So I manically clean the house to get my heart rate up; then maybe I can consider that exercising. As for the "withdrawal" and "beautiful" time theories I reassure myself that time is the only cure for those. My last aid is to try writing. Maybe writing will make me feel like I have some kind of control over it...that heavy feeling?

Now tomorrow, just ONE day after trying to fix the heavy feeling, will be a pivotal day. Either I will wake up feeling a little bit better or the same. If I feel the same, pure panic will take over because I will IRRATIONALLY think I am in the throws of a major panic episode and fear will keep my mind from settling down and resting. I sure hope tomorrow will be better and lighter.

I am still hesitant sharing about my mind's thoughts because they are irrational a lot of the time. Plus they are not very funny and hard to make fun of. However, I can't truly share my story without sharing my authentic self  rather than just comical superficial stories about my neurosurgeon, Diego, Ebony, and Walter. So sitting here with this heaviness is where I am right now, and I hope anyone else who struggles with similar problems will empathize.

3 comments:

  1. Uggh. I have felt my depression creeping up on me the last couple of days too. It just feels heavy and yucky and though there is nothing wrong with me I just feel crummy and mad and blue. Today I cried, yelled, turned the music up really loud, scrubbed the bathroom, ate healthy and then ate chocolate, gave up and did nothing, left the house, and danced. All the while trying to "snap myself out of it". Sucks. Maybe tomorrow. So I feel ya' I always kind of thought most women went through these struggles but for us lucky ones they pass in time. I usually just don't talk about it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I should have also said I'm sorry you're in the pits. You can always call or come hang out if you just feel like being around other people. I know I usually never reach out when I'm in a mood but maybe I should.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ugh. So sorry you were having a rough time. Just yesterday, I renewed my membership (for an entire year) to that anxiety website I told you about. Just know, you're not alone, and it will get better.

    P. S. I love reading your posts. They always make me grin. :)

    ReplyDelete