Thursday, January 10, 2013

#6 - A Bobby Pin in the Scalp

Let's return to the Top Ten of Ridiculousness list with #6.

In addition to missing out on the roller coasters and the Army, I have lost my depth perception and feeling on my scalp. Yes, I know...two very serious impediments ;) First, I virtually have no depth perception. So Monster Inc. 3D will not be a movie I see nor will I be purchasing a 3D TV screen. I don't know if I lost it all at once, or if it was a gradual process. Due to my 2D vision, I have to park my swaggerwagon in one of those far off parking spots old people park in to prevent door dings. The eye doc says that surprisingly many people lack depth perception, so don't mock those who park in the back of the parking lot; we just don't want to scrape your side panel.

The second thing I "lost" was feeling on the right side of my scalp. Walter's stage is completely numb. A numb noggin', no harm in that...right? To a sturdy person there is no harm, but I am not the most graceful soul. After hitting my head in December, I went around for two days not knowing I had a bigger gash further up on my shunt valve. That was two days of not cleaning and treating the wound; that neglect could have ultimately allowed the staph infection to invade.

Also a freak-out moment happened two weeks ago when my incision started bleeding. Bleeding head wounds have moved up to "emergent" in our house, but not nearly scary enough to call the neurosurgeon, who sends me into anxiety. So Kyle went to the pharmacy to buy some UNEXPIRED Neosporin because unknowingly the Neosporin we were using on the infected cut expired in 2009 (possibly another transporter of staph). We applied the new anti-bacterial cream, put some gauze over it, and strategically placed bobby pins to encourage my hair to hold the dressing in place. I couldn't see the situation up there, but Kyle said it looked like the incision had busted open. Did I feel anything, no. The incision busted open a second time, and as I was awkwardly trying to see the incision in the mirror when I saw a bobby pin jammed into my scalp where the incision was open. Eww, eww, gross, gross! I had to pull the bobby pin out of my scalp and immediately sit down because I was dizzy from the thought, but I absolutely didn't feel a thing. Now I am more careful with my Walter Hairdo and watch for open wounds before slipping a bobby pin into my hair. When my less than desirable wound came up today, thanks to Kyle's loud mouth, Basta looked at me while nodding and said, "You are killing me." Then he instructed me to wear my necessary Walter-covering bobby pins further back on my head. I was proud that he understood the need for the bobby pins to cover Walter, but he just wanted them placed in a safer place.


Walter saying Hi on Thanksgiving.
 

I am not wanting to complain and dramatize my very minimal restrictions of the VP shunt. I simply want to show how ridiculous theses situations I get myself in are. Remember I don't want pity, only eye rolls and laughs.

1 comment: