Monday, April 1, 2013

9 Day Check Up

Since there is really no cohesive writing format to describe my visits to Dr. Basta's office, I will use the trusted Top Ten approach:

1. During surgery, he puts my head in a three-pronged vice grip. This vice grip puts 60 pounds of pressure on a patient's head (from three angles). Medicine is given to an already unconscious patient to minimize blood pressure spikes when those three prongs CLAMP the head. "Thank God you are under anesthesia" Basta reassured me after saying he wouldn't ever want his head in this contraption.


2. I had over 25 staples plucked from my head, neck, chest, and stomach. Dr. Basta made his nurse do this sadistic task as we heard him laughing in the next exam room. While Lisa was plucking me like a dead chicken, she noted that I had completely ripped two staples out of my scalp and two other staples were only half way in. I then had to fess up to a fight I had with an over-the-head hoodie. I guess the hoodie won. Remember I am numb on my scalp, so I don't feel those mishaps. Now, my tummy staples are a different story, and ironically they stayed neatly intact =)

3. He uses a GPS system to find my ventricle (brain hole) to put the proximal end of the catheter in. I had white radioactive stickers put on my head, then they sent me into a CT Scan. The CT Scan and stickers created a GPS reading for Basta to know where to drill my skull hole. Fascinating...huh?

If you look above my right eye, you can see a scabbed over "hole" from the vice grip.


4. Apparently the Kansas City Public Schools are ranked dead last in a supposed all country ranking poll. When furthered questioned, Basta couldn't recall his source. The district is bad, but it is hard to believe they are the WORST district in all of the US.

5. At his kids' preschool they auction off the closest parking spot. This year it went for $2700. Yep, he lives in Mission Hills, KS.

6. I am healing very well, but still have to take it easy for 8 more weeks. Apparently I am not supposed to be lifting anything heavier than a gallon of milk. It would have been more helpful to tell me that right after surgery. So neither Henry nor an overstuffed footstool get to be carried anymore.

7. I need to get a visual field test done at the eye doctor to see if my peripheral vision is improving. It improved with the last shunt, so the prediction is that is will improve with this one.

8. Lisa, his nurse, has had 11 surgeries on her ear. I immediately stopped complaining about my 4 surgeries.

9. My overall diagnosis has changed. It was once IIH (Idiopathic Intercrainal Hypertension) and now it is Acquired Hydrocephalus. I acquired it from my first bout of viral meningitis almost three years ago. I was told this was actually a good switch for my medical future because other doctors know about  Hydrocephalus and how to treat it, unlike IIH.

10. I was always scared that I was "that patient." You know, that hypochondriac patient that calls ALL THE TIME. Nope, I was reassured that when we call, Lisa knows there is something legit going on. I kinda feel proud of that because that means I can read what my body is saying and get help when it needs it. They have patients that call because the patient is lonely and just wants to talk. One patient apparently called and said her husband was beating her. So believe it or not I am a low drama case. 


Overall I am doing very well. I have a virus or something right now, but I am sure that will be short lived. Once again we appreciate all the comments, visits, and prayers. And the food! My goodness the food. We have been blessed with friends, neighbors, and family who keep our bellies very full with healthy food. For the first time in weeks, my kids ate a Happy Meal Saturday as a simple reward for good behavior, not because their parents were too worn out to cook. Thank you so much!

1 comment:

  1. Oh my gosh!!!! We are one in the same. I'm a little freaked out, but extremely happy to not be alone anymore. I, too, had meningitis and it triggered all the same things. Wow. We need to talk! Chronicallyfun.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete