Friday, June 27, 2014

What...you want to operate where? Not my head?

Throughout this winter I was having wicked side pains. The pain mostly sat on my right side and the stabbing feeling prevented me from doing simple things like rolling over in bed or pulling my right leg up into our van. Now up to this point, all ridiculous medical mishaps had been due to the effin' shunt. So what do you imagine was my first inclination for the side pain? Yes, I envisioned the shunt tubing wondering around my abdomen whipping any organ that got in its way. Reserving that thought to myself, I went to my family doctor, who has struggled through this whole soap opera with us, with my side pain complaint. When a normal patient shows up with side pain the appendix, liver, or gall bladder are looked at. However, he, Kyle, and me are programmed to go for a Dx of a shunt malfunction. What else could it be in me? After three revisions in two years, the past had to dictate the future. I was sent off for a CT. Mysteriously, other than some fluid collection around my liver my CT looked clean.

So what was causing this pain? Still thinking it was the shunt we contacted the neurosurgeon and was abruptly excused with some serious accusations that I will further explain in a post called "An ice pick to the head: The accusation that I am compromising my shunt on purpose."

Thinking outside the box-I thought maybe, just maybe, my side pain had NOTHING to do with my shunt, despite my past history. Therefore, my next stop was to see my OBGYN. I know this was a normal stop that should of happened a lot earlier, but we were consumed with a shunt Dx.  My OBGYN is the antithesis of all the "Nuero" guys I had been working with. She is calm, talks slow, listens to me, and acts with diagnostic tests(as opposed to hunches). All this, while being a very capable doctor in her field. After an ultrasound, CT, and MRI it was discovered that both my fallopian tubes were filled with fluid. This condition is called hydrosalpinx. She compared my fallopian tubes to stuffed sausages, so I had eggs and sausage in pelvis...sorry...poor joke. Her recommendation was a hysterectomy via a minimally invasive ROBOT...yeah a ROBOT!

I initially pictured a robot feeling me up, but it is more like an arcade game where the doctor is moving scalpels and cameras inside the patient via a control board five feet away from the patient. This seemed similar to the iconic game Pac Man. Dr. Woods is behind the controllers maneuvering her Pac Man to devour my cervix...500 points; one fallopian tube 250 points; my uterus 900 points (the big one).
Now using the Pac Man robot has many advantages. It is the least minimally invasive method for a hysterectomy because the instruments Pac Man is using to devour my ovaries are very small, so there is very little tissue damage. I have four small holes and not a huge across the belly incision like I did for my C-sections. Also there is less bleeding and less chance of infection.

Pre op was a bit weird, as I was used to them prepping my head by putting faducials on and marking and shaving places on my scalp. However, a hysterectomy pre op has shaving, just not on the head and every once in awhile I would catch myself from telling the nurse "No, you need to mark my head so the surgeon knows what side to operate on." It was all very foreign having the other end worked on.

So after have 4 brain surgeries, I thought this surgery was going to be a walk in the park. Dr. Woods was telling me I would have a 2 to 4 week recovery. However, in my warped brain I gave myself 5 days to heal. Yep, only 5 days. Hell, I had Zac Brown tickets bought for Lincoln Nebraska 6 days after the surgery.  No one told me 5 days recovery, I just thought that was a reasonable amount of time to heal after getting major organs cut out of me. As a result I overdid it on all physical activity and gave myself a hernia. After that I did begin to take it easy. But seriously I thought this surgery was going to be like getting a mole removed, so much so I asked if I could go home the night of the surgery. I actually begged if I could go home.and they said absolutely not. This turned out to be a good thing since my bladder took a while to wake up. I was unable to void, so I had to stay two nights until I could pee on my own. And, boy I did the Potty Dance once I peed on my own! Yipee, I could go home then!!!!

Though I have had some little infections and the hernia, my side pain is completely gone. I have learned there is no reason to automatically jump to the shunt. Yes, it should be in the back of our minds, but it should not guide my medical treatment. And always, I learned to see several doctors to get their opinion on the situation because they might have the answer!

No comments:

Post a Comment